Do you want pasta, but also want to eat your vegetables? Have a picky eater that runs for the hills at the sight of broccoli or anything green? THIS VEGAN MAC ‘N CHEESE RECIPE IS FOR YOU!
I love dinners that have hidden veg and this one is vegan and delicious! For so long I avoided nutritional yeast out of fear… silly, I know… I had no idea what it would taste like… spoiler alert – IT’S DELICIOUS! If you’re vegan or dairy-free, you totally get the cheesy taste from the nutritional yeast and it masks the broccoli flavor just enough to win over any veg-averse toddlers. You can get some from Faithful to Nature
Anyway, I coined the term “mac ‘n trees” and I was pretty chuffed with myself (lol) so decided to pop this on the blog. It’s quick and easy, so perfect for a weeknight dinner.
“Mac ‘n trees” recipe ~ vegan broccoli Mac ‘n cheese
An easy vegan dinner for families that kids with LOVE!
I packet of macaroni pasta (cooked according to packet instructions)
1 head of broccoli florets
2 tbsp coconut oil / olive oil
3 tsp crushed garlic
Handful chopped basil
salt & pepper
1 cup almond milk / milk of choice
2 tbsp nutritional yeast (heaped)
1 tbsp flour of choice (if required)
vegan cheese / nutritional yeast for topping
- Cook your macaroni according to packet instructions and set aside once done
- In a separate pot heat the oil and fry the garlic
- Add your chopped basil and broccoli and sauté for a minute or two
- Add your milk and bring to the boil, once simmering, lower the heat
- Season with salt and pepper and remove from the heat once the broccoli has softened
- Transfer your sauce to a blender and blend until your sauce is smooth
- Once blended add it back to the pot over low heat and add the nutritional yeast
- If your sauce is a bit thin, use a whisk to stir in a flour of your choice to thicken it
- Once you’re happy with the consistency, combine with your pasta, top with nutritional yeast / vegan cheese and grill until crunchy on top