Hello fellow foodie and welcome to today’s installment of “things I’ve veganised” 🙂 haha!
One of my main goals as a flexi-vegan/plant-based eater is to not rely on buying store/frozen meals, like falafels, etc. but rather making my own from scratch. When it comes to burgers, I truly love a good one and if I’m going to eat a vegan one, I really don’t want it to be dry and boring.
These are super quick to make, very cheap and the whole fam will love them!
If you try this recipe, please let me know what you think. I appreciate it so much and I hope you ENJOY!
Black bean & quinoa burgers
Delicious, easy, cheap & SO TASTY! I hope you enjoy!
1 can black beans
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp coriander
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp chipotle
Salt to season
1 cup cooked quinoa (cooked in vegetable stock)
1/4 cup oat flour
1/4 cup soya milk (or non-dairy alternative)
- Preheat oven to 150˚C
- Empty can of black beans into a sieve and rinse under running water. Allow the water to drain.
- Place the drained beans into a baking dish and season with all of the spices (feel free to add as you desire)
- Allow the beans to dry out in the oven for around 20 minutes (keep an eye on them)
- Now is a good time to cook your quinoa. I cook mine in vegetable stock and follow the instructions on the packet for volume.
- Remove the beans from the oven and using a fork, break the beans up a little, not quite mashing them entirely
- Add the quinoa to the baking dish and combine
- Add the oat flour and combine
- Add the milk and mix until incorporated (if the mixture looks a little dry add a bit more milk – it needs to be kind of sticky)
- Using a prep ring or a cookie cutter (or your hands) shape the burger patties onto wax paper
- Cook in a pan on high heat with some olive oil and brown on either side for around 3 mins.
- If you don’t have quinoa, you can add additional black beans or another legume of your choice to bulk it up.