Anyone else struggling to reign in their sweet tooth and/or cater to their child’s constant requests for snacks?! (I hope it’s not just me)
I’ve been wanting to make something like this for a while, so I ordered some coconut sugar from faithful to nature – here and got “baking”
This is a super easy recipe that comes together pretty quickly, so it’s perfect to do with your kids.
I usually don’t enjoy baking with my kids, because there’s usually too much chit chat (aka distraction) and too much mess, but for simple things like this, it’s ideal.
I like to let them take turns tipping/pouring ingredients into the bowl, they really enjoy that and it keeps it really fair, to avoid arguments.
One thing I haven’t mentioned yet is that you can either do clusters or press them into a lined dish or roll them into balls. I decided to do pressed squares, again to keep things super fair. I can imagine clusters being a big issue if one seems slightly larger than another 😉 haha
chocolate coconut clustersCourse: treatsDifficulty: super easy
1 1/2 cups oats (gluten free rolled oats / regular)
1/2 cup desicated coconut
1/4 cup cocoa powder
pinch of salt
1 cup coconut sugar (you can use any normal sugar of your choice)
1/4 cup coconut oil / butter
1/4 cup milk of your choice
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- In a mixing bowl combine oats, cocoa & coconut (& a pinch of salt) and set aside
- In a saucepan heat up the coconut sugar, coconut oil, milk & vanilla essence until it is smooth and the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Pour the syrup into the bowl of dry ingredients and mix until it is all combined well.
- At this point you can either choose to roll the mixture into balls, or drop as clusters onto a baking sheet or alternatively press into a wax paper lined dish.
- Pop them into the fridge to cool (overnight is best)
Anyway, if you do make these, please tag me – I’d love to see how they turn out.
Thanks for reading & happy snacking,